L'art Arabe: The Art of Arabic after the Monuments of Cairo, 17th Century
d'apres les monuments du Kaire depuis le VIIe siecle jusqu'a la fin du XVIIIe par Prisse d'Avennes
212 UHQ JPG Scans | 2600x3600 Pixels | 374 MB
Author: Prisse d'Avennes | Title: L'art arabe d'apres les monuments du Kaire depuis le VIIe siecle jusqu'a la fin du XVIIIe
Publisher: Paris: Ve A. Morel et Cie. | Year: 1877 | In French
- "L'art Arabe", a rare collection of breathtaking set of plates (wood engraving, heliogravures and color lithographs) of the famous Islamic-Arab designs and ornaments published by the French art historian Prisse d'Avennes sometime during 1869 after buying them from the sixty or so French artists who accompanied Napoleon Bonaparte on his compaign against Egypt in 1798. Those selective group of artists were assigned by the Emperor to illustrate the art treasures of rare architectural ornament (tiles, wood carvings, paintings on walls and ceilings, woven hangings), carpets, paper appliques and illuminated books.
- Classical archaeology—the excavation and analysis of ancient Greek and Roman sites—was born on Wednesday, October 22, 1738. On that day, Roque Joaquín Alcubierre, an engineer in the army of the Bourbon royal family in Naples, was lowered by ropes down a square well shaft cut through volcanic material that had formed on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. When Alcubierre reached the bottom of the well, 65 feet below the surface, he began to wind his way through tunnels carved into the volcanic material, noting pieces of architectural elements as he went. This discovery became the first systematic study of the astonishingly intact ruins of the Roman city of Herculaneum, buried for 1,700 years in the volcanic eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Alcubierre's recording of the artworks, colored marbles, inscriptions, lamps, and items of everyday life he discovered deep inside the earth marked the "Big Bang" of Classical archaeology—a quest to understand Greek and Roman culture through its material remains that continues to this day.
Detroit Publishing Company - Touring Turn of The Century America 1880-1920
- This collection of photographs from the Detroit Publishing Company Collection includes over 873 glass negatives and transparencies & color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. The collection includes the work of a number of photographers, one of whom was the well known photographer William Henry Jackson.
241 UHQ JPG Plates | <2378х3203 | 300 dpi | 1.4 GB
- Paul Gustave Doré [January 6, 1832 – January 23, 1883] was a French artist, engraver, illustrator and sculptor. Doré worked primarily with wood engraving and steel engraving.
765 HQ JPG Images | 2414x3000 | 211 MB
- Gil Elvgren (March 15, 1914 – February 29, 1980), born Gillette Elvgren, was an American painter of pin-up girls, advertising and illustration. Elvgren was one of the most important pin-up and glamour artists of the twentieth century. Today he is best known for his pin-up paintings for Brown & Bigelow. Elvgren studied at the American Academy of Art.
Natural landscapes on Canvases of Russian Artists, 139 Paintings HQ
139 JPG Canvases with Artist's Names | <3185x1144 Pixels | 179 MB
Great Pin-Up Collection | Seperated and Indexed
- Pin-up, Pin-up (English to pin up - pin, that is, poster, pin up on the wall) - popular in the middle of the last century, American style of popular art - frivolous pictures with pretty girls. These images were created as follows: the artist took the black-and-white photographs of real centerfold and redraws them in color and more attractive way. Although the public eventually saw only embellished pictures of models, some of them getting through them celebrities and sex symbols.
Harper's Pictorial History of the Civil War
Authors: Alfred H. Guernsey and Henry M. Alden
- This facsimile edition of the original work published in 1869 provides a treasure trove of primary-source material for any researcher. The number of details mentioned lends immediacy for today's people. Military, political, and social issues are thoroughly discussed. Maps, black-and-white illustrations, and portraits add further interest and appear on nearly every page. Footnotes appear in smaller print on the same page as their reference. A wonderful, comprehensive, oversized resource.
- Chinese tattoo master Hailin Fu is currently on his way back to China after an extended guest spot in Canada. He will be heading back to China to co-curate the "Death" art show with Damian McGrath of Tattoos.com opening end of October in Beijing. We will be posting information on Hailin's latest projects on this site as well as sharing videos and photos from his latest work. This site is a gateway to all of the social media channels as well as an archive of Hailin's tattoo and art work. Hailin Fu will have prints of his works on sale at the Calgary Tattoo and Arts Fesitival at the Tattoos.com booth Oct. 14th-16th. We will be updating this site in english mostly for what is going on outside of China when Hailin is traveling to western conventions or tattooing outside of asia. We will post videos of his work as Damian from Tattoos.com joins him for a month in China.